3/18/2012

Interview: Chatting With Twin Cabins


  Twin Cabins is the solo project of Nacho Cano, who creates infectious indie-pop that's sure to be stuck in your head for days. After finding out about Nacho on his BandCamp page,  I decided to find out more by asking him for an interview. Listen in on our chat as we talk about music, romance, and Wild Nothing.

Me: For the folks out there who have no idea who Twin Cabins is, give them some basic info about the band.
Nacho: Twin Cabins is my solo project. I was born in Mexico City and grew up in the city of Toluca. I moved to the United States when I was around 10 years old. I have always had an infatuation with music and romance. Twin Cabins became a project in which I could discuss my general frustration with my romances, disappointments, sadness, and nostalgia (which is apparent in the style of the music.) Over time I began to catalog my music but until recently it's finally picked up. I hope you guys like it. 

As can be observed from your many releases on BandCamp, you have a vast array of musical influences. Can you tell me what bands you like and how they've shaped your style?
I love Wild Nothing, but I wouldn't cite them as a direct influence. I would say that the bands that I take the most of [are] Jesus and The Mary Chain, New Order, The Cure, Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, but his production is inspiration), and Destroyer. 

The song "Laika" is about the Soviet space dog who became the first animal to orbit the Earth. What made you want to write about this?
Strange thing about Laika, it's actually a song in which I was discussing my depression. Last year was really bad for my health but that's another story. Laika was simply a symbol of the unknown. You see, Laika was a dog that was about to go on a journey of uncertainty, no one knew what was going to happen to her. No one knew if she was going to live or die, but they had hope for the potential that it had. I loved that idea, of not knowing what could occur to someone so precious then letting it go. I saw myself as Laika. That song set me off to the style that I have now a days. 

What's the difference between your bands Twin Cabins and Rushmore?
Rushmore was a name given to me by this girl. She related me to Max Fischer from Wes Anderson's film Rushmore. I embodied it in many ways and I liked it because it represented my first romance. Once the romance and the friendship collapsed, I adopted the name as a way to communicate with her and myself of what was going on. I still like the name, it sets me apart. It no longer means the same thing that it once did, and I don't see myself releasing anytime soon under the alias; just doesn't seem right. I'll keep the name though. 

Can you tell me what the process of creating an album is like?
Creating an album is frustrating. Typically, I make my songs in the span of about a month or longer. I spend a long time writing them. I have very little musical training but I have a good ear. I spend most of the time playing riffs over and over, hopefully remembering them. If they stick, then I record it all. I build everything off from a single riff or melody. The lyrics is the last thing, they have to come at random times. Then I master the song and I breathe easily, but typically it takes a long time since I do it all. For I'm Sure I had a concept, I wanted it to be a love letter of sorts - I had to wait for things to happen so I could write as it came. The last leg of the album, the last 4 songs, were all completed in a span of 3 months. So, to answer your question. It's all over the place. 

What sort of thing are you most likely to be doing when you're not working on new songs?
I am making art projects or I play a lot of games. I spend my life on reddit or at the movies. I go to shows and listen to endless amounts of music. But typically I feel really useless if I am not trying to get this career thing going. So, there aren't dull times. I have a job and I am in college; then there's this whole Twin Cabins thing. There are a lot of things, not a lot of time. 

Are there any Twin Cabins songs that for some reason disappoint you?
Yeah actually, now that I listen to a lot of the old material, it kind of puts me off. I sang flat, and I didn't do very well at mastering. There are some tracks I really want to revisit, like Let Me Kiss You When You Go Away and possibly Transparent Mountains. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. I keep those tracks up as a reminder of how far I've come and I'm Sure that (ha, puns) I'm Sure will also become that.

What sort of plans do you have for Twin Cabins in the near future?
Currently I am working with a publicist and other things to get stuff going. BanterMedia is awesome and I have faith in their efforts. They have backed some awesome people, and some people that I admire nowadays in the industry. Let's hope it pays off. If it does, I will tour the shit out of my summer. 

Thank you for your time. Is there one last thing you like to tell readers?
 Be sure to listen to I'm Sure, spread the word. The 5 track sample is online and you can pretty much download it and spread it around. Expect more news on a possible proper release in the near future. With all 9 tracks. Much love, Nacho. 

(You can follow/stalk Twin Cabins on BandCamp and Facebook)

Also, be the first kid in your neighborhood to give "I'm Sure" a spin.